Friday, March 12, 2010

International Students

Today we had two international students come in and talk about their school experiences where they live and their experiences at Luther.

WOW, their schools sound way more strict than the school I went to. I went to a small town school and the most discipline we had was to leave the room and sit in the office. One student was from Ghana and he talked about how strict school was. They would be beaten if they were disruptive and not listening. It shocked me to hear him say that. As a teacher you would never do that to a student here.

Both students talked about how much they had to study when they were back home. They were studying six to seven hours a day outside of school. I never had that much studying when I was in high school. They both agreed that they do not have to do as much studying here at Luther. I am doing way more studying here at Luther than I have ever done before.

It was really interesting how their school experiences compared to my experiences. We have had way different experiences but we all ended up at Luther. I think this is interesting how they were way more disciplined than I was but were are at the same place. Is all the discipline really necessary? I agree that every school needs to have discipline or it would be chaos but not to the extent of physical punishment. I just find it interesting that our different school structures have lead us to the same place.

No comments: