Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chocolate Milk: better than no milk?

Last week in class we talked about chocolate milk and the sugar content. Is all of this sugar really needed? We discussed what would happen if only white milk was served. Many thought that students would not drink it since it was plain.

I don't think that we should take away chocolate milk but it should me limited. In the article Chocolate Milk: better than no milk they said they would only serve the flavored milk on Fridays. I think this is a good idea. The students are only getting the sugar once a week at school instead of everyday. The students will get plain milk the rest of the week. They are getting a good source of calcium everyday. The plain milk should be encouraged more than the chocolate milk.

I really think that we need to be more educated on the amount of sugar in the milk. I was not aware it had about the same amount of sugar as a can of pop. I think that schools should be informed of the amount of sugar and try to encourage white milk more.

No comments: